Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss Week!




I'm a little behind on my blaug-o-rama, so I'll have to play catch-up. For our fifth week of story hour, we celebrated Dr. Seuss's birthday. In honor of the late children's author, we read the story of "The Sneetches" (some with stars, some without stars on thars) and another short story called "What Was I Scared Of?"
If you've never read either of these stories, I highly recommend them. "The Sneetches" teaches a great lesson about acceptance and "What Was I Scared Of?" tells a story about fearing the unknown...(see comment). Plus, they're both just plain silly. Any story that features a character known as "the pale green pants with nobody inside 'em" has to be great.
We celebrated with a balloon hunt and then made our very own creative balloon creatures. Dr. Seuss, you were one crazy dude. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. And by "fearing the unknown" I mean to say, getting to know something before being afraid of it. Like for instance...spinach. Taste it first, then decide whether or not you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I was afraid of spinach for a long time. But then we became friends...and then I ate it.

    ReplyDelete